- Ph.D. Student, Anthropology, Case Western Reserve University
- M.A., Medical Anthropology and Global Health, Case Western Reserve University, 2017
- B.A., Anthropology and Spanish, Western Washington University, 2015
- The Life Course
- Migration and Mobilities
- Geographic Areas: Puerto Rico and U.S. Mainland
- Lecturer: ANTH 316 Current Global Health Events
HONORS AND AWARDS
- 2019: Swetland Community Fellowship, Mary Ann Swetland Center for Environmental Health
- 2019: Behavioral and Social Sciences Travel Stipend, Gerontological Society of America
- 2019: Graduate Student Travel Award, CWRU
- 2018: Verhosek Fund Graduate Student Conference Travel Award, CWRU
- 2016-Present: Anthropology Graduate Assistantship, CWRU
- 2015: Taylor-Anastasio Undergraduate Research Award, WWU
- 2019: Social Justice Institute Graduate Research Fellowship, Social Justice Institute, CWRU (pre-dissertation research)
- 2019: Medical Humanities and Social Medicine Graduate Research Grant, Dept. of Bioethics, CWRU (pre-dissertation research)
- Fluent in Spanish
- Qualitative and Ethnographic Methods
- Multi-Level Modeling
- Spilsbury, J. C., Nadan, Y., Kaye-Tzadok, A., Korbin, J. E., Jespersen, B. V., & Allen, B. J. (2018). Caregivers’ Perceptions and Attitudes Toward Child Maltreatment: a Pilot Case Study in Tel Aviv, Israel, and Cleveland, USA. International Journal on Child Maltreatment: Research, Policy and Practice, 1(1), 19-40. [Journal Article]
- Jespersen, B. V. 2019. “Mobility Regimes in Pursuit of ‘Good’ Old Ages: Examining Older Puerto Rican Adults’ Migration Narratives.” American Anthropological Association/Canadian Anthropology Society, Vancouver, Canada.
- Jespersen, B.V. 2019. “Migration, Mobility, and Pursuit of ‘Good’ Old Ages: Narratives of Puerto Rican Older Adults Who Migrate to the US Mainland.” Gerontological Society of America, Austin, Texas.
- Korbin, J., Spilsbury, J., Coulton, C. & Jespersen, B. V. 2019. “Other People’s Children: The Role of Neighbors and the Community in Promoting Child Well-being and Preventing Child Maltreatment.” International Society for Child Indicators, Tartu, Estonia.
- Jespersen, B. V. 2019. “Negotiating Mobility and Risk: Later Life Migration and Puerto Rican Elderhood in Cleveland, Ohio.” Society for Psychological Anthropology, Santa Ana Pueblo, NM.
- Jespersen, B. V. 2018. “‘There’s No Safety’: Stratified Reproduction and the Neighborhood Context of Safe Child-Rearing.” American Anthropological Association, San Jose, CA.
- Jespersen, B. V. 2018. “Older Adults and the Neighborhood Context of Child Maltreatment: Pathways to Improving Child Well-Being.” Society for Applied Anthropology, Philadelphia, PA.